Connecting Businesses, Foundations and Individuals in financial support of OnePercent for Education accredited nonprofits
The need for improvement in our educational system as well as the supports that we offer our students is glaringly apparent.American students are falling behind their international counterparts in math, reading and science and this is trending worse over time. The 2013 OECD’s Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) results yielded the following: Among the 34 OECD countries, the United States performed below average in mathematics in 2012 and is ranked 27th. The United States ranked 17th in reading and 20th in science. Analysis of these results confirmed that students in the United States have weaknesses in performing mathematics tasks with higher cognitive demands, such as taking real-world situations, translating them into mathematical terms, and interpreting mathematical aspects in real-world problems. These findings do not bode well for global competitiveness. We need to dramatically improve our eduational outcomes – and we can!
Why OnePercent for Education?
- Educationally focused nonprofits with measurable results are underfunded.
- Many students are subject to stressors that impact healthy brain development, leaving them unprepared to focus on academics.
- Students experiencing multiple Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES) are more likely to fare poorly in school, leading to dropping out and being unprepared for a career.
- Dynamic nonprofits augment student success in many ways including providing tutors, mentors, after-school activities, family supports, restorative justice, programs in the arts and more.
- Students receiving these services tend to stay in school, graduate and pursue further educational options that provide enhanced employment and career opportunities.